Monday, December 10, 2012

Lamb Shank and Risotto

For all you working and non-working mothers out there I want to share one of my crockpot/slow cooker recipes. Some of my girlfriends have crockpots/slow cooker and never use them because they don't know what to cook.  

So here is one of my favorites. 

My mother taught me how to cook at a very early age and I still enjoy it to this day.  My son loves a home cooked meal and we spend our best time together at home at the dinner table.  

My mother was French and my Father Irish and she was a very traditional cook and never used a cookbook, most of her recipes were family recipes.  When I was growing up we only went out to eat for special occasions, birthdays or anniversaries, etc.    My mother cooked every night for us and I helped. I carried on her tradition and still cook most of her meals with a more modern twist.  I love Italian food which my mother never cooked so I have learned a lot from Franco and his family.  

I really like risotto but hate to stand in front of the stove stirring for hours so I decided to try and make risotto in my crock pot/slow cooker. 
This is how it turned out.


Here’s the recipe for the Lamb Shank and Risotto

1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/3 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs. lamb shank
2 cups Arborio rice
4 cups chicken, vegetable or any stock you prefer
Pinch of salt and pepper
½ cup  Parmigiano-Reggiano


Brown the lamb shank in the olive oil, sage, rosemary and garlic until lightly browned.  I have the all clad slow cooker that has the nonstick aluminum insert goes from stovetop to slow cooker to table. If you do not have a slow cooker that you can brown the lamb shank in brown it on the stove top and then transfer it to your slow cooker.  Before you put the meat in put the Arborio rice and stock then put the meat on top season with salt and pepper.  Cook on low six to eight hours.  Once cooked you can add the cheese and some cream to the risotto before you serve.  

Enjoy!!!!





Janette Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment