Thursday, August 30, 2012

Just Completed: Makeover Madness in the Hollywood Hills

I can’t believe that summer has passed and we’re approaching the fall season.  I didn’t plan on taking the summer off from blogging, but I got so caught up with work, life, traveling and my son, that I simply lost track of time.  I went to Italy in July and I can’t wait to share that experience with all of you.  I have much to share in the upcoming months and I apologize for being MIA.  However, as you can see, during my time away, my blog had a facelift this summer. 

As many of you know, I’ve blogged about my Hollywood Hills project before, but after a year and a half, I am finally finished with it and I want to share the finished product with you!  The house was built in the 1970’s and last year, I completely remodeled and furnished the interior.  My client took a few months off and then he decided that the outside did not match the ‘new and improved’ inside so it was time to renovate the exterior.  The only thing we were not going to demolish were the pool and Jacuzzi but to simply update them, therefore, we re-plastered them, installed new tile, poured concrete coping and decking.  


The existing gazebo was deteriorated but my client wanted to keep it so we rebuilt a new one out of Ironwood which is an amazing product.  Ironwood not only looks great, but it lasts forever and, as it ages, it becomes aesthetically better over time.   The yard gets a little windy in the evenings so we added glass to reduce the wind and added a chandelier to provide some extra light. 


The exterior was brick and white stucco so to update the fa├žade of the house, my contractor stuccoed over the bricks and applied a smooth coat of stucco in a dark grey tone.  I added lanterns from The Federalist along the back of the house.  My mason contractor added blue stone to the chimneys to add more character and a new roof was also added.  Fleetwood doors and windows were installed last year when I completed the interior remodel.


After the hardscape was finished, I hired a landscape contractor to completely redo the entire yard - front and back.  I think they did a great job!  We wanted drought tolerant plants (we are in California, after all!) so they planted a lot of succulents to the planting pallet.

I use Orchids De Oro for all of my interior plants and they did an excellent job with planting the exterior pots that I purchased from Rolling Greens.  Tom Henry, the owner, is really creative and is a pleasure to work with.  You can see more of his work at Kneedler Fauchere in the Pacific Design Center. 


My clients really wanted a fire pit so they could sit outside in the evenings when it’s chilly, have a cocktail, look at the view, and relax.  I think the fire pit was a great addition!


My clients entertain a lot and like to grill outside so I added this outdoor grill area; we purchased Lynx outdoor appliances which are top of the line outdoor professional grills, a refrigerator and an ice maker. My carpenter added the pergola and we also added a glass wind wall behind to keep it nice and cozy on the winter evenings. 


Construction is not an easy part of my job and is always stressful and time consuming.  However, when you have a great crew like I did, it makes it a lot less stressful, not only for myself, but for my clients.  Alfonso is my mason contractor who did all of the hardscape (stone and concrete).  He always goes above and beyond his scope of work and he did a beautiful job.  Kevin Estes is my finished carpenter who supervised the project with me.  Kevin and his crew built the pergola, deck, gazebo and the entire front gates out of Iron Wood as well as all of the new fencing.  My electrician, Scott Ferguson, has worked on many projects with me.  He did all of the electrical work, landscape lighting, exterior lighting and the entire interior lighting last year when I completed the interior remodel.  Of course, there were a lot more subcontractors on the job than I mentioned and they all did a good job, but Alfonso, Kevin and Scott are the main contractors that helped me get the job done on schedule for my clients!!

We are all working on our next project in Studio City so in the new few weeks I will give you a sneak peek of how that project is progressing.  Ciao, and until next time my friends…

Janette Mallory

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this article I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading blogs and posting comments.

    Small Garden Ideas

    ReplyDelete