Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kitchen and Bathroom Remodel Series, Part I


I have been in the Interior Design field for almost twenty years and  throughout my career as an Interior Designer I have remodeled many Kitchens and Bathrooms (as you can imagine) . Most of the time the Bathrooms are completely gutted and redone but not all of my clients have that kind of budget so you if you don't have the budget to completely start over it makes a huge impact if you change out faucets/fixtures, mirrors, lighting, new towels, area rug, new paint, etc which will make a huge difference and add value if you are trying to sell your house.   In my opinion I feel that most people when they are looking to buy a new house the most important and sometimes deal breakers can be the Bathrooms and Kitchen. In this tough real estate market I think more now than ever its important to update Bathrooms and Kitchens to make it easier to sell. 
For my Bathroom and Kitchen remodel series I am going to share with you some Bathroom and Kitchen remodel projects that I have done for myself and my clients that are not on my website or blog, some of them are big and some of them are small but all of them are drastic improvements from what was there before I made any changes. 

  
One of my favorite materials to use for the shower is Carrara marble and it comes in many shapes and sizes, I always mix and match the shapes and sizes. The walls and shower pan are from Walker Zanger the walls are 2 x 4 brick field and the shower pan is 1 1/4" hexagon field. I used leftover Carrara Slab from another bathroom for the curb so there are no grout joints. The shampoo box is also left over slab, its always nice to use slab material when possible for a cleaner look.

  
The Kitchen below had nice cabinets for the most part so to save money my finisher sanded adn repainted them a darker color to make it more interesting.  We took down the wall (where the two counter stools are) having to literally twist my clients arm!!!  You will see what a HUGE difference it made not only making the kitchen more open and making it feel larger it opened up the flow to the dining room and living room which is much better for entertaining.

  

The wall that we took down is where the new banquette now sits which is covered in Brenda Antin vintage fabrics that she brought back from France.


So basically we bought new Viking appliances, fixtures, the counter tops are honed Bardiglio Imperiale marble (which looks like a gray limestone), painted the cabinets, new wood floors and my client has a brand new kitchen with a more updated look.


I just love the cabinet color that my finisher and I came up with. The cabinet pulls are from Restoration Hardware. Don't you just love the new Restoration Hardware look and quality of their products? And you can't beat the price!!!

 I think some of the best bathrooms are the small ones. This entire Powder Bath is Waterworks, my client and I flipped out over the Brickworks field tile that we used on the walls, the color is fantastic.  I mixed nickel, brass and copper using the Henry low profile one hole faucet in lacquered brass, the oval sink is hammered copper, the legs of the washstand, mirror and p-trap are all nickel. There's also some brass on the handing light fixture over the sink.   I like the mixture of all three finishes, its kind of my thing right now as you will see in upcoming posts. 



So this is Part I of my Kitchen and Bath Series, I hope you like it and I would love to hear your feedback.

Janette Mallory

18 comments:

  1. I love the Grove Brickworks in the powder bath. It turned out GREAT!!! Excellent job Janette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful transformations! The bathrooms are gorgeous, and I love the color of the kitchen cabinetry! I'd be a bit concerned about the safety of the rangetop on the end of the peninsula, but I love how open the kitchen feels now with the wall opened up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I admire the most about interior designers is that the ideas are jumbled in your mind yet they come out with a superb result. This bathroom makeover is one best example. However, I would prefer a suitable shower curtain for the shower area to have a little privacy. Lol.


    Lara Bathurst

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks amazing, I love the shower. Great job with the remodel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tile in the shower Janette. We are starting a project with 3x6 subway in the same type of stone this week. If you're looking for ways to achieve a low cost bath remodel, try the designer, stock vanities. These vanities can be bought at a great price and have a high-end, custom look without the custom price. We just produced a video and published an article about how to go about incorporating standard stock vanity sizes into your bath. Check it out if you get a chance. FYI: we don't sell vanities...we just like to help people save money on their building and remodeling projects. Take care...love the results of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mice blog. The bathrooms are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    Orange County Bathroom Remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I like in this remodel, is the window with its sliding door, the elegant dark brown color of cabinet and stove. In the bathroom, however, your counter can bee seen outside even its obscure, better if it has an opaque covering.

    construction companies san francisco

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about bathroom remodeler in your area. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about bathroom remodeler. Keep it up!
    Often, when you purchase a home, some of the most dated rooms in them are the bathrooms. They are also the ones that usually best reflect our own personal daily needs and tastes. The bathroom happens to be the room where the best professional craftsmanship is needed.

    bathroom remodeler in Beverly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie,
      Thanks for stopping by.. I love to hear feedback. Happy Thanksgiving! Janette

      Delete
  10. Then - holding many of us in check - is the reality of the budget and dollar amount that we will spend for our new kitchen.


    Cabinet refacing oklahoma city

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy, unique and elegant kitchen remodeling. Thanks for sharing an example.

    kitchen remodeling seattle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your remodeling of kitchen and bathroom ideas are very good to look..Both are give more gorgeous look to your home...

    Kitchen Remodeling Contractors

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! I like the fist photo above it possess cleanliness and show the beauty and spirit of the frosted glass. I want my bathroom look like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Building modern constructions involves utilization of a variety of public delivery methods, materials such as bricks, timber, concrete etc. These materials have to be readily available near the construction site at a reasonable price. Any construction takes up lot of expenses and these costs vary according to the per square foot basis, various delivery methods, condition of the site etc. Brick Kicker

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rotational molding - often referred to as rotomolding - is a popularly used process in the package design & development industry. A heated mold melts down high-density plastic - often polyethylene - forming a puddle. A Plus Quality

    ReplyDelete