Thursday, April 29, 2010

Remnants of the Past, Nipomo, California




My client projects have kept me very busy this past month, and in my quest for those one-of-a-kind treasures I decided to head up north to the Nipomo antique show last weekend. Nipomo is a charming town nestled in the hills just south of Pismo Beach. Surrounded by cauliflower farms and citrus groves, the antique show was housed in a barn that was filled with pieces that set my heart racing as soon as I stepped inside.


 
I love to cook, so naturally I was not only looking for antiques to accent my design work, but also doing a little produce shopping on the side. There were carts full of fragrant citrus, the sweetest strawberries I have ever tasted, gorgeous flowers and of course, cauliflower!



 The amazing bargains, mingling with vendors and the thrill of finding an amazing piece hidden in a dusty corner makes hunting for antiques arguably my favorite pastime. Each piece has its own history, and I love giving these old things new life in my designs. One of the most exciting finds was a French iron coat rack from the 1880’s which has a gorgeous patina worn from over one hundred years of use. It proves that truly good design is timeless. By the end of the day I had a cart full of antiques and vegetables and a big smile to match! What a refreshing reprieve from the work week, and wonderful reminder of why I love what I do!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Janette. What a wonderful market and antique show!! It looks like you had a wonderful day combining antique and produce shopping! Wow, we don't have anything remotely like that here... I adore your French coatstand! Enjoy incorporating it into one of your designs. Wishing you a wonderful day ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This market reminds me a little of Salamanca markets held each week in Hobart. Beautiful fruit and veges, amazing craft but only a few antiques.
    Alas it is now too far away to attend so I get my kicks vicariously through blogs

    ReplyDelete